Nuffnang Ads

Followers

Sunday 11 May 2014

Iban Contemporary Ethnic Fashion

I would like to dedicate this post to my mum in conjunction of Mother's Day and her being my inspiration in fashion. 

One of my fashion idols is definitely my mother. Looking through her old photos showed me that she is indeed a person who is always on trend when it comes to fashion without being a fashion victim. 

 I love her retro style the best particularly her long dark brown hair cascading over her shoulders and myriad styles of the 70s be it maxi dresses, bell bottom jeans, platform heels and big sunglasses with minimal or no make up at all. 
 
Whenever I see her old photos it gives me the inspiration to be be unique and individual in fashion and my particular favourite is Iban contemporary ethnic particularly from the Pua Kumbu be it it's fabric or the motif.

My very young mum

In our ngepan Iban


The love story began when I saw my mother more a sleeveless jacket and skirt made of an authentic pua kumbu as an usherette at an event in Sarawak and that was from a photo in the 70s. 




Mum's Pua Kumbu Jacket
When I was small I loved the jacket so much that I always wanted wear it but mum would not allow me as it was too big for me. As a result she made me my own pua kumbu jacket and skirt by using a pua kumbu motif fabric. See how young I was exposed to traditional motif fashion? Thank you Mummy!


I do not have my mother's photo of her wearing the jacket as it is not with me at the moment. However, because of this old jacket and the "mini" version of it inspired me to showcase Iban contemporary ethnic fashion in whatever events I attended. I wish I can be a good tailor as at the moment I can only design and send my designs to the tailor.

Here as some of my Iban contemporary ethnic looks that I have styled before. 


To a pre-Gawai dinner in 2014

Borneo Hornbill Festival 2013

At a friend's wedding

Same skirt in different style

At a book review session where I presented Sarawak related book review in MITI
My engagement in 2011
 
My first try in sewing a Pua Kumbu skirt which definitely needs a lot of improvement

My BHF photoshoot

My brother's convocation

Trying out some different looks for marek empang

I am so happy that now more and more designers are inspired to bring back the ethnic look and their effort should be commended. I hope to see more Sarawakian designers showcase more ethnic fashion not only for the runway but also easy to wear styles. 

Before I end my post for the day, I would like to give a shout out to all the mothers out there, Thank you for being the inspiration to your children particularly your daughters as my mother did and HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!





 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi would really love to make an evening gown using pua kumbu. Was wondering where do you buy your pua kumbu from and do you have their contact? Thank you